Applying for food, cash and medical assistance through Franklin County is a several step process. Please read the following information carefully to ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible. Please note it may take up to 30 days to complete your application. We complete cases in the order that they are received and when all verification documents have been received.
STEP 1: SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
You can submit your application in the following ways:
- BY PHONE: Franklin County processes applications over the phone Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Just call 1-844-640-OHIO (6446). If your wait for a caseworker exceeds 5 minutes, the system can call you back in the order the call was received. Click HERE to learn more about services available over the phone. Note: Services will also be added soon for existing customer to renew benefits over the phone.
- ONLINE: Visit https://benefits.ohio.gov/ and click "Apply Now," then follow the prompts. If you need help applying online, watch this informational video.
- Our Opportunity Centers have computers available to apply online:
East Opportunity Center
1055 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43203
West Opportunity Center
314 N. Wilson Road
Columbus, Ohio 43204
Northland Opportunity Center
1721 Northland Park Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43229
STEP 2: GATHER VERIFICATION DOCUMENTS
As part of the application, you will need to submit a number of verification documents. The specific documents accepted are listed in the application, but in general we will need to verify:
- Who is in the household
- All household income, and
- Basic information such as identity, Social Security Number(s) and Birth Verification(s)
Please write your name and case number or social security number on all verification documents.
STEP 3: THE INTERVIEW
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a call, followed by a letter in the mail giving you an appointment date and time. Please note that the majority of our appointments are conducted over the phone. The appointment will generally be within two weeks of the submission of your application.
- Please be prepared to provide verification documents.
- Interviews generally take up to 90 minutes. If your benefit has a work requirement, you may be asked to complete an additional interview.
- During the interview, your caseworker will be able to answer any questions you may have about the application process.
STEP 4: RETURN ANY ADDITIONAL VERIFICATION DOCUMENTS
At the end of your interview, your caseworker will give you a checklist of any additional verification documents we need to complete your case. The sooner you return the verification documents, the sooner your case can be completed. Return those verification documents to us with your name and case number or social security number on ALL documents.
- FAX: Fax your documents to (614) 233-2398
Remember to take your receipt after scanning in any verification documents so you have it available for future reference.